Friday, April 23, 2010

The Blind Side (2009)




    If I had known this movie was based on a true story I would have skipped it. There are no words that make me shudder more than "based on a true story". Personally I have never wanted to see true stories on the screen. I prefer my movies to be stories. They can look like real life, play out like real life, as long as they are fiction. But hey, that's just me. I am glad I didn't find out about the Blind Side until I was a ways into it then, because I was pleasantly surprised by the great story and the terrific acting.

    Had I been a football fan I might have been familiar with Michael Oher and his life. An African-American man who grew up in poverty with danger and drugs all around him manages, through fate and circumstance to get out of it with the help of a Christian school and a Christian family that goes the extra mile and goes on to become an NFL star. Sandra Bullock deserved the Oscar. She does so well as the tough hard-nosed mom who has hopes for Michael and helps him find his dreams.

    It was refreshing to see a movie in which life is portrayed so hopefully. You really end up rooting for Michael from the very beginning because he is the gentle giant and the pay off is huge in the end. I am not gonna write a massive review for this one simply because I think everyone should see it for themselves. I normally detest these kinds of movies and it totally sold me, which is saying something.

No comments: